Free consultation 24 hours a day 7 days a week!

What do I do after a work injury?

Work accidents can happen in any workplace, and many times accidents can be avoidable. If you were injured at work, Advocates USA has compiled the following information to help protect your legal rights to workers’ compensation benefits:

  • Obtain first aid if needed
  • File an accident report with your employer
  • Consult a doctor that is approved under workers compensation
  • Consult a workers’ compensation attorney

After suffering workplace injuries in Florida, you may begin to worry about how you will pay your bills if your injuries have kept you from work. As long as you follow the correct channels with your Employer, you should not be denied workers’ compensation benefits.

Get First Aid After Your Accident At Work

If you suffered injuries, taking care of yourself is your priority. You need to seek first aid or get yourself to an emergency room if your injuries warrant it.  

File An Accident Report With Your Employer

Filing your work injury in Florida with your Human Resource Department is the most critical aspect. If you suffer from injuries while on the clock, you must report it. Reporting your accident will prove you have gone through the proper channels, and your accident at work was documented. You will need to fill out the details of the event leading up to the accident and the details of the accident. Evidence of any details of the scene is beneficial:

  1. Take photos of the scene of the accident
  2. Make notes of any witnesses

After you report your workplace accident, it is up to your employer to file a workers’ compensation claim with the insurance company on your behalf.  

What If I Didn’t Know I Was Injured At The Time Of My Work Place Accident?

Not knowing you are injured is very common, and unfortunately, because people don’t think they were injured, they didn’t report the accident. Then down the road, they start suffering back, neck, and limb problems. Report Your Accident regardless of the injuries you think you may or may not have.  

If you have filed a work accident but didn’t think you suffered injuries at the time, report it to your human resource department as soon as you start feeling the adverse effects. Follow up to ensure your workers’ compensation claim was filed and ask for a copy of it for your records.

What If The Accident At Work Was My Fault?

Most employers are required to carry worker’s compensation insurance specifically for workplace accidents in South Florida. Regardless if your negligence caused the accident, you could be compensated for your loss of work to be able to heal. On the flip side, however, employees typically can’t sue their employers for workplace injuries.

If you suffer injuries from a workplace accident while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, your injuries will not be covered.

How Do I Know What Doctor I Have To See After An Accident At Work?

After you have reported your workplace injuries, you need to consult with a doctor who specializes in workplace accidents. Most employers will require you to seek care from a doctor within their network. If you are not satisfied with what the doctor had to say, it is worth finding a second opinion from a doctor of your choosing. An additional doctor’s appointment outside of your employers choosing may or may not be covered under workers’ compensation. But think of it this way, you may have much more to lose if you don’t get a proper diagnosis in the future. And a co-pay at your doctor will be a lot less than what you could potentially lose.  

Do I Need A Lawyer After A Work Place Accident?

If your injuries are minor and you can report back to work within a day or two, typically, you won’t need a lawyer. Or if you don’t expect your workplace injury to result in permanent damage, you usually do not need to hire South Florida accident attorneys at Advocates USA.

If you require treatment, miss out on many days of work, and your injuries are more severe, you need to contact workplace accident attorneys following your accident. Lawyers who specialize in accidents at the workplace know your rights. Often, workers’ compensation insurance will provide you with a low ball settlement, deny you of treatment as well as pay. Getting a personal injury attorney in South Florida involved from the beginning with only make your process cleaner and more manageable.

Lawyers for workplace accidents are personal injury attorneys. If you were injured in a work accident, contact our worker’s compensation attorneys at Advocates USA at 1-800-872-4878 or fill out our contact form for a free evaluation. You do not pay unless we win your case or have settled on financial compensation. We are the attorneys for the injured.

Our personal injury attorneys at Advocates USA service all South Florida from Miami, Coconut Creek, Jupiter, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach up to Port St. Lucie. Our experienced accident attorneys help victims who have suffered injuries in the following areas:

Legal areas of Advocates USA:

Auto accidents

Motorcycle accidents

Pedestrian accidents

Work injuries

Frequently asked questions


Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Everything you need to know about hiring A personal Injury attorney

Scarlett Estevez

I was referred to this office by a friend of mine who had her case handle by attorney, Marcos Gonzalez. I was very pleased with Mr. Gonzalez and his staff. Everyone is very nice and I got a great outcome on my settlement. I Would recommend this firm to anyone looking for a PI or Workers’ compensation attorney. Thank you guys! Keep up the good work. Scarlett Estevez

Vanessa Orozco

Excellent friendly office!!! Had an amazing experience everyone was super helpful and they worked their tails off to get me max dollar for my case .. Marcos Gonzalez amazing person hire him you won’t regret it !!!!

Vanessa Orozco